I’ve got 2.5 months left in hair school, and the ticking clock is urging me to get as much use out of the school as I possibly can. One thing I’ve had in mind for awhile now is to make an EPK, which stands for Electronic Press Kit. Specifically, I want media to put on my professional Facebook page, and a small site on the internet that I can direct either clients or potential employers to.
So at the very least I need some good photos of my work. This means a photoshoot.
- Location – School. Check.
- Makeup Artist
- Driver to pick people/gear up and deliver it
- Food (always good to have snacks or lunch for everyone)
- Photographer – Me. Check.
But I need more media than just a few photos… So…
Additional Items to Multiply Photoshoot Benefits:
- A photographer to photograph myself at work on models
- A professional HD movie camera – Can borrow from a relative who’s a cameraman. Check
- An operator with big muscles to operate the video camera + glidecam harness
Hopeful Media Haul:
- Great, fashionable photos of several different looks
- 1-3 minute video of just me doing hair stuff, not specific to this shoot
- 1-5 minute video of behind the scenes of the shoot, with me talking and explaining things so I look all fancypants
- 1-3 minute “About Me” video. Something other than the usual “Well, I got into hair because I love making people happy
- Also, I might see if I can shoot a sort of a “I’m a hairstylist, not a photographer. How can I get some good photos without spending big bucks?” video for the blog.
Once I’ve got all of that, I will have enough material to launch a professional FB page for my hair services, and start working on my professional website. I’ll need to think of a great domain name that isn’t taken… which is always the hardest part for me.
When I was thinking of ways to market myself I also thought of making cool t-shirts, but I think this is a more beneficial way to spend my money/time.
If anyone has any advice or suggestions, leave a comment! I need all the help I can get!